Former Manchester United star Ryan Giggs has opened an assault trial

Jury fails to reach verdict in Ryan Giggs assault trial

Editor’s note: The following story deals with domestic violence and may be painful for some readers. If you or someone you know needs support, resources for Canadians can be found over here.

MANCHESTER, England – The jury in Ryan Giggs’ trial was discharged Wednesday after failing to reach a verdict on domestic violence allegations against the former Manchester United star.

Giggs, 48, was on trial for four weeks, but after more than 20 hours of deliberation, the Crown Court jury of seven women and four men failed to reach a verdict.

Giggs is likely to face a retrial. He was charged with assault and using coercive behavior against an ex-girlfriend. He had denied all the charges.

Prosecutors alleged that Giggs assaulted Kate Greville, causing her actual bodily harm, at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester, in November 2020. He was also charged with common assault on Greville’s younger sister during the same incident, as well as using controlling and coercive behaviour. His ex-girlfriend between August 2017 and November 2020.

During the trial, Giggs said it was justified that he had a reputation for infidelity, but added that he had “never” physically assaulted a woman.

On Tuesday, Judge Hilary Manley told the jury she would accept the majority verdict, with 10 of the 11 people concurring. The 12th Judge was sent home due to illness.

The jury reported Tuesday that no unanimous decision was reached after more than 16 hours of deliberation.

In a 23-year playing career at Manchester United, Giggs won 13 Premier League titles, two Champions Leagues and made 963 appearances.

He stood down as Wales manager in June, saying he did not want to jeopardize preparations for the World Cup in Qatar later this year. He had been on leave since November.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.