Manchester United have reached an agreement to sign Casemiro from Real Madrid

Manchester United have reached an agreement to sign Casemiro from Real Madrid

MADRID (AP) — Manchester United reached a deal on Friday to sign midfielder Casemiro from Real Madrid, ending the Brazilian’s successful stint in Spain and giving the English giants a much-needed boost.

Both clubs confirmed the deal but did not provide financial details, although Spanish media said the deal for the 30-year-old Brazilian was worth around 70 million euros ($70 million) plus variables.

United said the transfer is subject to personal conditions, UK visa requirements and medical clearance. United, who have lost their first two games of the Premier League season, have been in the market for a central midfielder since the transfer window opened.

Casemiro’s arrival should be a boost for United manager Erik ten Hague, who unsuccessfully replaced playmaker Christian Eriksen in a deep midfield role in last weekend’s 4-0 defeat at Brentford. did

Madrid thanked Casemiro and called him a legend of the club. He has been with Madrid since 2013 and has helped them win 18 titles, including five Champions Leagues and three Spanish leagues.

The club said Casemiro will be honored at an event at the team’s training center on Monday.

Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said earlier on Friday that Casemiro was in talks over a move and a deal was imminent.

He said he spoke with Casmiro and felt there was “no way back.”

“He wants to try a new challenge, a new opportunity,” Ancelotti told a news conference. The club knows. With everything he has done for this club and who he is, we have to respect him. The talks are going on right now, he is still a Real Madrid player at this stage, but he wants to leave.”

Ancelotti said he did not try to change Casemiro’s mind about leaving.

“I didn’t try to convince him, I just listened, because I talked to Casemiro during my time here and he helped us a lot,” Ancelotti said. “Having heard what he wants, there is no going back. If he doesn’t stay, we will be grateful to him for all his work.”

Casemiro, 30, has been with Madrid since 2013 and is regarded as one of the best holding midfielders in the world. Madrid’s midfield has been one of the best in the world in recent years with Casemiro playing alongside Toni Kroos and Luka Modric.

Casemiro helped the club win five Champions League titles and three Spanish league titles among other trophies.

He has more than 60 games with the Brazilian national team and is scheduled to play in the World Cup in Qatar. He helped Brazil win the 2019 Copa America.

Ancelotti said Madrid have a replacement for Casemiro, including young French midfielder Orlean Choumani, who was signed in the off-season. The club has other players who can fill in as well, including Federico Valverde, Eduardo Camavinga, Dani Ceballos and even David Alaba, a defender who can play in midfield if needed.

“Tchouameni was signed for this position and he is one of the best central midfielders on the market right now,” said Anilotti. “Then we have Cruz, who can also play in that position, as he did in my second year here, and there’s also Kamawing.”

Ancelotti said the six midfielders he still has in the squad “will be enough to talk about the season.”

“They are six high-quality players,” the coach said.

Ancelotti said Madrid’s goals will remain the same despite Casemiro’s departure.

“Real Madrid’s plans don’t change,” he said. “Our plans are to fight and compete in every match, which we will do with or without Casemiro. That said, everyone knows how important the player is and how much we love him.

Madrid won the Champions League, the Spanish League and the Spanish Super Cup last season. It opened this season by winning the UEFA Super Cup.

Casemiro will join former team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo in the United States, although the Portuguese forward’s future at the English club is still in doubt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.