Marseille beat 10-man Sporting after a goalkeeper error

Marseille beat 10-man Sporting after a goalkeeper error

MARSEILLE, France – Marseille recovered from going behind in the first minute to beat Sporting Lisbon 4-1 in the Champions League on Tuesday, two costly mistakes before seeing off goalkeeper Antonio Adan. thank you.

After failing to score in two consecutive Group D defeats, Marseille ended Sporting’s perfect record with goals from Alexis Sanchez, Amin Harte, Leonardo Alderi and Chancel Mbemba.

Aden had a night to forget, when he gifted Sanchez an equalizer after a clearance, made another mistake for the second and then was red-carded in the 23rd minute for a tackle outside his own area. become

Kick-off was delayed by more than 20 minutes after the bus carrying the visiting team’s players ran into traffic and arrived late at the Velodrome. The delay was set at 15 minutes by UEFA and as the Marseille players waited in the tunnel, coach Igor Tudor appeared angry and complained to the match officials that their opponents were late leaving the locker room. .

But Sport didn’t waste any time when the game started, needing less than 60 seconds to break the deadlock.

Marseille’s defenders allowed him to go forward unopposed, with Francisco Trincao coming down the right and getting inside to fire a left-footed shot into the net.

Marseille needed a mistake from the Sporting goalkeeper to come back in the 13th minute of the game.

Under pressure from Sanchez, Aden shot the ball straight at the Chilean striker as he tried to clear it, and it went back into the net.

Aden looked unsteady and three minutes later Marseille’s next goal was again at fault after another poor kick landed at the feet of Matteo Guinduzzi. The midfielder quickly passed the ball to Jonathan Klaus, who finished off the move with a fine header for Hurrith.

Aden then rushed to clear the ball in the 23rd, only to mistime his run and manage it out of bounds. Forward Marcus Edwards made way for goalkeeper Franco Israel to make his Champions League debut.

Israel’s lack of experience was evident in Marseille’s next chance, when he misjudged a free-kick from Herit and was unable to stop Leonardo Alardi’s powerful header in the 28th.

Sporting were unable to come back and were repeatedly awarded four fouls as Marseille controlled the rest of the game, with Mbemba lighting up the winner from close range in the 85th minute.

The match was played without fans after crowd trouble during Eintracht Frankfurt’s 1-0 win in Marseille last month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *