MANCHESTER, England – Cristiano Ronaldo is back in contention for Manchester United after talks with manager Erik ten Hag.
The Portugal striker could play against FC Sheriff in the Europa League on Thursday after being dropped from last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea and out of the first-team squad for training. prepared
Ronaldo was punished for refusing to come on as a substitute in last week’s 2-0 win over Tottenham, which raised fresh doubts over his future in the United States.
But Les Haugs said on Wednesday that the matter had now been resolved after discussions with the forward.
“Cristiano will be in the squad tomorrow,” the Dutchman said in his pre-match press conference. “I think we’ve said everything and we’ve answered all the questions, he was out for a game and he’s back in the squad as usual.
“It’s done, he’s back, focus on the game, it’s important that Cristiano is in the team tomorrow.”
Ronaldo was an unwanted distraction during the Ten Hag’s short reign in the United States after failing to secure a summer move to a Champions League-winning team.
Ronaldo has been criticized alongside other players for leaving pre-season – and his behavior against Spurs led to a one-match ban.
While Ten Hoag have said that Ronaldo remains in their plans, there are doubts about whether he can play an important role in the team.
United failed to bring in a striker in the summer but with Ronaldo out of contract at the end of the season, the club will need to fill the gap if the 37-year-old Portugal international leaves.
It has traditionally been difficult to bring in big signings during the January transfer window but Les Hogg said long-term planning was underway when asked if he had the funds to recruit in the new year.
“In the background we always continue the process of teamwork,” he said. “So we want to have a better sports culture, and you look and examine how you can improve and that’s what we’re going to do.”