Some of the doors were blocked in the deadly crash that killed at least 131

Some of the doors were blocked in the deadly crash that killed at least 131

MALING, Indonesia – A delay in opening the gates at an Indonesian soccer stadium after violence erupted at the end of a match led to a disaster that killed at least 131 people, the national soccer association said Tuesday. said

The Indonesian Football Association said it had ordered the team’s chief executive and security coordinator, who hosted Saturday’s game, Arima FC’s stadium, to open the gates immediately.

“The doors should have been open, but they were closed,” said Aaron Tubing, chairman of the union’s disciplinary commission.

Due to the lack of workers, only a few people were ordered to open the gates, and they had not yet reached some of the gates when the spectators started running to escape the tear gas fired by the police. In an attempt to control fans entering the arena, the association. Spokesman Ahmed Riaz said.

He said that all the doors should be opened ten minutes before the end of the game. But on Saturday, seven minutes after the referee blew the final whistle, many of the gates were still closed, contributing to casualties in one of the world’s deadliest sporting disasters.

However, police continued to insist on Tuesday that the gates were open but too narrow and could only accommodate two people at a time as hundreds tried to escape.

According to FIFA and Asian Football Confederation recommendations, exits from stadiums must be open at all times during matches for safety purposes. These rules do not necessarily apply to domestic or national leagues but are still a safety standard, as is the recommendation against using tear gas as a crowd control measure.

Pictures of the Malang Stadium showed four interlocking goal panels that form a gate. There were 14 gates in all.

Police said their investigation is focusing on video footage from surveillance cameras at six of the 14 gates where most of the victims died.

“For those six doors, they were not locked, but they were very small. They had a capacity of two people but hundreds came out. Police spokesperson Didi Prastev told reporters that there was a grudge. He added that the The gates are the responsibility of the organisers.

Most of the deaths occurred when riot police used tear gas and fans made a panicked, chaotic run to get out. Police acted after around 42,000 Arima fans stormed the pitch after their team lost 3-2, their first home defeat against visiting Surabaya in 23 years.

On Monday, police announced that they had removed a police chief and nine high-ranking officers, and 18 others were being investigated for their role in firing tear gas inside the stadium.

Some survivors say that some of the exit doors are closed and they cannot escape. Many of them specifically mentioned the 13th gate.

“People tried to save themselves after the tear gas was fired. My group was separated from each other,” said Prostio Poggiono, a 32-year-old farmer from Malang who was watching the game with friends near Gate 13.

“People could no longer stay in the stadium. We wanted to escape but the gate was closed. That’s why many people died from being trampled or suffocated.” “I remember them screaming that they couldn’t breathe and their eyes hurt,” he said.

Those trying to escape eventually broke through the wall next to Gate 13, leaving a large hole with graffiti scrawled on it: “Farewell to my brothers and sisters. 01-10-2022.”

Hundreds of Arima supporters and local residents have been paying their respects to the victims at Gates 13 and 12 since Monday. They prayed together, threw rose petals, flower petals and placed many Arima scarves around the door.

Poggianto said he moved more than 20 bodies lying around Gate 13.

“Poor them. There were a lot of bodies lying at the thirteenth gate. If we hadn’t moved them, we wouldn’t have been able to get out. So me and my friends took them to the field,” he said.

26-year-old Arima supporter Ayotha Thiruvardhani said that in every game she has attended, the organizers usually open the gates 15 to 20 minutes before the end of the game. But on Saturday night, she said Door 13 was closed. She escaped by escaping the stadium through Gate 14, which she said was open.

She said she saw people crying and gasping for air in clouds of tear gas, and parents holding their children up on their shoulders to breathe. Among the dead are at least 17 children.

The Indonesian Football Association has announced that as a result of Saturday’s disaster, Arima has been banned from hosting any matches in Malang until the end of next year with its supporters.

Tubing said Arima’s chief executive, Abdul Harith, and security coordinator, Soko Sutrisno, have been banned from football for life because they did not secure the field and delayed the opening of the gates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *