Spain's public prosecutor dropped the charges against Neymar

Spain’s public prosecutor dropped the charges against Neymar

BARCELONA, Spain – Spain’s public prosecutor dropped charges against Neymar on Friday, but the Brazilian company will continue to fight the soccer player’s case in court.

The case stems from Neymar’s transfer from Brazilian club Santos to Barcelona in 2013.

The state prosecutor dropped all charges against Neymar, his father and the former CEOs of the Brazilian and Spanish clubs. However, the trial will continue as the Brazilian company DIS, which brought the case, has maintained its allegations that the parties involved are involved in fraud and corruption.

DIS claims it was paid far less than 40% of what it was due as part owners of Neymar’s player rights.

The public prosecutor announced the decision to drop the case on Friday after hearing testimony from former Barcelona executives Sandro Rozelle and Josep Bartomeu. State Attorney Luis Garcia told the court that he saw no evidence that he had committed a crime.

All the accused deny any wrongdoing.

State prosecutors were seeking two years in prison and a 10 million euro ($13.5 million) fine for Neymar. They also wanted five years for coaching and three years for former Santos president Odileo Rodríguez.

Neymar who now plays for Paris Saint-Germain told the court Last week he “followed my heart and chose Barca.”

The DIS is seeking five-year sentences for Neymar, 30, his father, Rozal and Bartomeu. DIS also wants a fine of 34 million euros ($46 million) and 195 million euros ($264 million) to be paid by the defendant to the Spanish state.

“In DIS’s opinion, no new evidence has emerged in the five days of this trial that would justify changing our position,” DIS said in a statement shared with The Associated Press.

DIS, which owns a chain of supermarkets in Brazil’s Sao Paulo region, said it acquired the right to 40% of Neymar’s future transfers in 2009 when it paid Neymar’s family 5 million Brazilian reals (then $1.2 million). to give

DIS says it only received its due percentage of the 17 million euros ($23 million) that Barcelona and Santos initially announced as transfer fees between the clubs, while the actual cost was about 82 million euros ( $111 million).

The trial is expected to conclude on Monday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *