MANCHESTER, England – Cristiano Ronaldo will defend himself against a misconduct charge brought by the English Football Association.
The Manchester United forward was charged following an incident with a fan after a game against Everton in April. Footage captured on camera appeared to show Ronaldo knocking a phone out of a supporter’s hand as he made his way to the locker room after United’s 1-0 defeat.
He was later cautioned by the police and last month the FA confirmed that the Portugal international had been charged with breaching the E3 rule.
“We talked about it,” United manager Erik Ten Hague said Wednesday. “He won’t accept it.”
The E3 rule deals with the general behavior of participants, stating that they must not defame the game “either by any, or by violent behavior, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behavior.” “
The case will be determined by an FA hearing.
Ronaldo returned to Goodison Park for the first time since the incident in United’s 2-1 win on Saturday – scoring the winner, his 700th career club goal.
He could start when United host Omonia Nicosia in the Europa League on Thursday after spending most of the season on the bench.
With speculation surrounding Ronaldo’s long-term future, Ten Hague said he is committed to helping the 37-year-old to rediscover his best form.
“I want to support him as much as possible,” Les Hogg said. “So we have a specific demand on the players, what we expect from him in certain positions on the pitch and what I do, like other players, I want to get the best out of them. get
“He’s in good shape now and I’m happy about that, so he can contribute a lot to the squad and I’m sure he will.”
Ten Hague added that Ronaldo’s fitness has been an issue this season.
“In the beginning, that was definitely the case,” said Ten Hague, “and it proved once again that no one can afford to miss the preseason.”